This is the second time I’ve taught this course, and the first time entirely online.
Some opening thoughts:
- This class will be different from a lot of courses that you’ve taken, in that it will involve less reading and more doing.
- This class will be more collaborative than most of the courses you’ve taken. That’s by design, as some would argue that collaboration is a necessary part of DH’s DNA (although not always in practice).
- Don’t be intimidated. We’re all encountering something new, and we’re encountering it together.
- Have fun. Each of the skills that we’re working on is meant to be a jumping-off-point for you to learn more by doing, by experimenting, by making things and even breaking things.
- Explore. See those links? Those come from exploring. Whenever you have a question, there’s an internet of projects, answers, tips, tricks, provocations, and conversations just a few clicks away.
I’m looking forward to exploring DH with you this semester.